How do I turn off WD write protection?
Hold down the Windows key and press R to open the Run window. When the dialog box opens asking you to give the Run utility the ability to make changes to your computer, click “Yes.” Double-click “WriteProtect” and change the value from “1” to “0” to change its status from on to off.
How do I remove write protection on WD external hard drive?
You can clear that with the following procedure:
- Right-click START and choose “Command Prompt (admin)”
- Type “diskpart” and press Enter.
- Type “list volume” and press Enter.
- Type “select volume #”, where # is the number of the drive that’s giving you the “write-protected” error.
How do you unlock a write protected hard drive?
Restore Access to a Write-Protected Hard Drive
- Open a Command prompt by clicking Start, typing command, and clicking Command Prompt.
- Type diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list volume and press Enter.
- Type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive that’s giving you the “write-protected” error.
Why can’t I remove write protection USB?
Look for a lock switch on the USB device and toggle it to the off position. Use the diskpart command instead, or set the WriteProtect value to 0 in the Windows Registry Editor. Clear the Read-only check box in the file’s Properties for individual files.
How do I remove write protection from my external hard drive Mac?
How to Remove Write Protection from USB Pen Drive on Mac?
- Open the Disk Utility, and the application window will open.
- Click on your USB flash drive on the left pane of Disk Utility.
- Click on the Erase tab, then select the format type. …
- Then click on the “Erase” option to start formatting the USB flash drive.
Why is my hard drive write protected?
In general, disk write protected can be caused by virus attack or infection, corrupted file system and wrong value of Windows Registry Key, etc. If you are troubled in this issue, consider whether there are chances that your hard drive is infected with virus and run anti-virus software to check for it.
How do I remove the security on my WD Passport?
The option will be located under Settings> Drive Settings> Security, It will ask you for your current password, and then it will give you an option named “Remove Security”. If your unit uses WD Security, then please open WD Security and unlock your drive. The option to remove security will become available after this.
How do I unprotect a USB drive?
Here are the detailed steps of unlocking write-protected BitLocker USB or partitions on your PC:
- Open File Explorer, right-click on your BitLocker partition or USB drive and select Manage BitLocker.
- Select the locked device and click Turn off BitLocker.
- Wait for BitLocker to decrypt on its own.
Why is my flash drive write protected?
What does it mean when you receive “The disk is write-protected” error message while trying to format a flash drive, pen drive or SD card? It means the Windows operating system has set administrator limitations, the registry entry is damaged, virus infection or third-party encryption software locked your USB pen drive.